Little Steps, One Leap for Green

Please make comments to our blog, and when we are fully utilizing this blog's features, we will be posting a photo slideshow (new and familiar), maybe some video, too.

Powered By Blogger

15 December 2007

It's Time to be a Daddy (part one)

It's funny when you become a father, especially a young father. I was 24 and had not even really soaked in the fact that I was one until 3 months later. Yeah, it soaked it in really good like a wet diaper invades the nasal cavities and you have to get your tired ass up and change your child. My mind was changed. I had this bundle of human flesh in my hands and a pair of eyes breathing back into mine. I don't know what happened to me, but I felt that for the first time I was looking into a ray of sunshine...then, the little crappy pants spit up on my shirt.

And, it didn't matter whether it was a favorite shirt or a tee that needed to be laundered and was overdue by a couple weeks, I would let her vomit on me just so that she would feel better. We do so much for our kids so that they feel better. We stop eating so they can take all of one hour to eat a small morsel of food that would certainly be eaten off your hand by any person in the third world. In fact, you might want to just put the food on a plate so that they wouldn't eat your hand while trying to stuff as much into their own mouth. But for my little girl, she took one hour to consume 4-6 ounces of baby formula dissolved in luke warm water. Yeah, 4-6 ounces. Of course, she was only born 0-7 months at that point.

Now, well, she consumes more liquids than she can probably hold. But she's come a long way. She's pretty much potty-trained now. I don't keep as close an eye on her as I once did. She's going to be a tall girl like her mom. I don't know if she'll be a volleyball goddess. But, she could certainly follow in Ali's footsteps as a boxer, or she could take up ballet. She's got strength, finesse and a certain "je ne sais quoi."

No comments: